Monday, January 8, 2007

Cleaning out the Pantry & Refrigerator

Since one of the places I can cut back on is groceries, I've been trying to feed my family directly from what we already have in the pantry/freezer/refrigerator. I usually don't keep the pantry stocked on food that I can make a meal from, but over the weekend we pulled some things together!

First, we have a freezer full of steaks, chicken, ground beef, etc, so the meat part of our meals has been easy. It's the sides where I've had to get creative. But I was able to pull enough things out of the vegetable bin to make a salad, we had some bean and rice and some frozen veggies that worked out well. Tonight we had breakfast for dinner (which my son calls "Brunner") so that was easy too.

I found the Hillbilly Housewife on another blog and it has some good information for low cost meals. There is the $45 Emergency Menu for 4 to 6 on the website that I need to take a closer look at to see if it is food that my family would enjoy. I'll let you know what we do and see how we can tweak it and recreate our own low cost menu!

No comments: