Thursday, January 11, 2007

Allowances -- So Far So Good

I started giving our boys allowances this year for the first time. Towards the end of last year, I started adding up all the little trips thru McDonald's for an after school drink and cookie, or to the gas station for a Slurpee, or to Blockbuster for video game rentals...it all added up to quite a bit. Since the things that the boys asked for were never big purchases or amounts of money, I almost always said yes. I mean -- what's $2 a few days a week for an after school snack? But the thing was...whenever I'd get them a treat, I'd always get something for me and my husband. Video for the boys? I'd get a movie for me and my husband -- which was usually never watched!

Then I realized that it was all adding up to a nice sum of my allowance and that the boys should start paying for these things themselves and learning that money really doesn't just grow on trees. So each week I give my 8 year old $8 and my 5 year old $5. Last week they pooled their money and rented a video game. This week's allowance is going pretty quickly. It's been working well though and I wish that I would have started it sooner.

No comments: